One of the best parts of senior retirement is having the free time to do new activities and spend time with friends and family. If you're a grandparent, you might think you have the best job in the world and be looking forward to a fun, loving relationship with your grandchildren. Staying up to date with your family members is an important part of senior mental health.
However, as the lives of others become busy and your life starts to slow down after leaving the workforce, it can be difficult to get together with family members and grandchildren. To make the most of your time together, it's important to make these visits memorable, which can be accomplished by doing engaging activities.
If you're unsure how you can have fun with your grandchildren, fear not. There are many ways to be together that are active or low-key, which means having fun won't be hindered by bad weather or physical limitations. Here are some great activities to have an engaging time with your grandchildren you can try out during your next visit:
- Do a puzzle: While this may seem old school, tackling a puzzle with your grandkids can bring you all together with one goal in mind. Not to mention, completing a puzzle with many pieces can give everyone a great feeling of accomplishment.
- Go on a treasure hunt: Treasure or scavenger hunts are easy to create – all you need are a few clues and a little bit of brainstorming. Make up clues to places around your home, or wherever you are, and hide them in order for your grandchildren to find them. Then, hand them the first one and watch them connect the dots. Don't forget to put a small prize or treat with the last clue for an added surprise. For a scavenger hunt, you will need to make of list of item or activities for your grandchildren to perform.
- Bake a sweet treat: If you know your grandchild has a favorite treat, try baking it together. You will get to quality spend time, teach them a new cooking skill and make something yummy. You could also make something new to test out their taste buds.
For more adventure or when weather permits, you can also bring the good times outdoors by doing one of these fun activities:
- Go for a walk or bike ride
- Play catch
- Set up an outdoor watercolor painting station
- Tour your local firehouse or historical society
To maximize your Senior Health Insurance benefits, visit MySeniorHealthPlan.com for quick, simple and easy information